Published Thursday 19th of December 2013 // Updated Wednesday 8th of February 2017
Concrete is not a flammable material. While it may not be entirely immune to fire and fire damage, it is not as likely to catch fire as a wooden structure. The lack of flammability is one of concretes biggest pluses, and it is also the reason many fireplaces are made out of brick. Brick is a type of concrete, albeit slightly more delicate and significantly more porous. The imperviousness to flame makes brick an attractive choice for someone looking to build and install a fireplace, whether indoor or outdoor. Concrete fireplaces are becoming more popular and it is an excellent idea to seal them before use.
Fireplaces are wonderful areas for gathering around as a family or as a group of friends, as fires provide the communal sense of trust, comfort, and relaxation that helps provide a pleasing aesthetic and physical atmosphere for an evening of bonding. Concrete and brick have long been the preferred material used to construct fireplaces; while these two materials are well known for their strength, durability, and longevity, they need a little help to reach their maximum potential. However, the one step homeowners commonly forget to take is that of sealing their fireplaces. Fireplaces, either indoor or outdoor, often are exposed to myriad sources of wear that can degrade and corrupt its visual and structural integrity.
If your fireplace is made out of a material like brick or concrete, you will want to treat it with a water-based silane/siloxane sealer like Siloxa-Tek 8500. The Siloxa-Tek 8500 will protect the surface of your fireplace protecting it from mold, mildew, efflorscence and water damage. The Siloxa-Tek 8500 also features excellent UV stability, helping to ensure your fireplace does not become discolored due to sun exposure or too much soot and smoke. For any type of fireplace, you need to be certain to use a water-based sealer. The use of a solvent-based sealer will lead to potentially harmful health side effects, as the VOCs within the solvent-based sealers are released when exposed to low heat. You do not want your family and friends sitting around the fire breathing in potentially harmful chemicals. The Siloxa-Tek 8500 is a great water-based product that offers comprehensive protection without the harmful side effects caused by VOCs.