How to Clean Concrete
Published Friday 22nd of November 2013 // Updated Tuesday 28th of February 2017
Before applying a sealer for the first time, you should clean the concrete. There are many ways to clean concrete before applying a sealer but we recommend removing all dirt and debris, power-washing and using an industrial strength concrete cleaner before sealing with a concrete sealer.
- In order to clean the concrete, we first recommend powerwashing. By power washing the concrete, it allows the sealer to penetrate deeper into the concrete. Be sure to power wash carefully since too much pressure can damage the concrete.
- If the concrete is still dirty after power washing, you can apply a cleaning chemical etcher that is specially formulated to clean concrete like Hydro-Etch 1000.
- While using Hydro-Etch 1000 follow the instructions, scrub the concrete and pay attention to noticeable stains.
- After cleaning, rinse the concrete again with the power washer. If stains persist, you can repeat the process.
- Wait at least 24 hours for the concrete to dry before applying a Ghostshield sealer.