How to Waterproof Concrete
Published Tuesday 7th of October 2014
When concrete and mineral substrates come into contact with water, they absorb an amount which depends on their porosity. Water is one of the most detrimental causes of structural damage such as cracks, frost damage, algae growth and salt corrosion. Much of this damage can be prevented or significantly reduced through the use of Siloxa-Tek 8500. The Siloxa-Tek 8500 is an invisible, non-film-forming sealer of mineral substrates that inhibits long term water absorption while remaining breathable.
Due to the special penetration effect, Siloxa-Tek 8500 permanently protects concrete against moisture from rain, dew or snow, against road salts and microorganisms. In addition, the nano technology used in the Siloxa-Tek 8500's formula help regulate concretes water balance, which increases the lifespan of the mineral substrate.
Other advantages include:
- Prevention from freeze-thaw attack and ASR by preventing the ingress of water.
- Prevents further damage to reinforced concrete by limiting the substrate water content, chloride and other aggressive salts.
- Provides increased protection as a hydrophobic barrier to prevent future penetration of water and soluble aggressive agents through a crack.
- Provides protection from spalling and pitting as a result of aggressive salts and chlorides.
- Alkali resistant.
- Freeze-thaw/de-icing salt resistant.
- UV resistant.
- Reduces vapor transmission.
- Water beading (water repellent effect).
- Reduction of dirt pick-up.
- Reduces risk of efflorescence.
- Protection against micro-organism growth
- Effective penetration depth.
- Seals pores and capillaries while remaining breathable.
- No change in appearance of the substrate; the treated surface does not become glossy.
- Tack free, durable finish.
- No formation of harmful by-products.
- Low VOCs
- Easy to Apply.
- DOT approved
← Return to Ghostshield Articles